ACCHS Physics Intro and Reflection

Hello everyone, I'm Heather and I'm really happy to be here.

I fell in love with Chinese Medicine over several years of receiving treatment.  At first it was for little things like abdominal pain, issues with digestion, colds and flu.  And then serendipity struck -  I found ACCHS when a "pinched nerve" was diagnosed by my MD, but the meds she gave didn't help.  It was an insidious pain that I couldn't tolerate. I needed an appointment immediately, and found the school clinic.  I came in for treatment twice a week for over a month and experienced many of the aspects that attract me to this medicine: its effectiveness, focus on the individual rather than a diagnosis and the search for and treatment of the root cause as well as current symptoms.  I also love the wide variety of hands on techniques available to us with needles, tuina, moxa and herbs, and the deep restful state that an acupuncture treatment allows me.

I honestly like physics.  I'm looking forward to learning more this summer.  I loved my high school physics class.  Mrs. Jones taught us the marvel of how things work in a very hands on manner, and drove home concepts including math with song and games.  It was a joy to discover.  After reviewing the syllabus for this class, the readings for this week and some of the other student blogs I'm very excited at the multifaceted approach we will be taking.  I look forward to using time more wisely in order to take advantage of these opportunities to write and reflect, and get over my fear of posting things publicly.

In class last week we discussed our experiences of time slowing down and speeding up, and I got a good sense of how very relative time is.  I was especially impressed by discussion of time feeling different in the US than elsewhere.  This weekend I attended a fire/aerial/circus arts "flow" convention, and had another experience with this.

On the long drive to a much anticipated destination, time dragged on. We were excited and anxioius. A storm in the Mojave desert made for a tense portion of the drive, and upon arrival, we spent a very cold long night in the car due to the necessity to stay warm.

Friday was a flurry of activity - setting up the gate and registration, wrangling volunteers, ticket and comp lists, parking, wrist bands, maps and schedules.  By time the first flame was lit on Friday night it felt like a week had passed.  In reality: 18 hours.

I got to take classes on Saturday, and experience the time lapse of flow states - spinning poi, hooping and learning new tricks on the aerial silks.  I feel that my body overtakes my mind when I am engaged in these activities, and it's always a surprise when an instructor announces that it's time to cool down. Time disappears.

By Saturday night, the event was in full swing, the gentle ebb and flow of activities starting and stopping, some "on time" and some quite late, but without much care by those invoiced.  It's a state we refer to as "playa time" relating to the experience of being in the desert during burning man where everything is constantly changing, beyond and without need for control.  There's another expression "the palay provides"  and this was also witnessed all over the flow event.  Lost sunglasses lead to a new pair found or gifted by a passer by; An empty water bottle immediately meets with an offer of a fruity beverage; or a broken flow toy is repaired or replaced by a stranger who quickly becomes a new friend. No worry no hurry.  This weekend I observed a group of 600 people engage joyfully on playa time, working with their chosen flow toys, yoga, dance, martial and circus arts and in celebration of being able to be free to just be and be there for three whole days.

Saturday night's fire circle was a diverse display, with many performers appearing to bend time with their flaming flow tools, stalls and wraps, pops and locks, twist and turns and starts and stops.

When Sunday morning hit, time became relevant again. Attendance in classes dropped as everyone packed up to leave, the call of a specific location at this hour or that again being heard.  I got back in the car and realized how much homework I still had to do, and time sped right back up again.

In this little weekend culture, the factors of location, obligation, engagement and perception allowed for a slowing of time that felt expansive.  And I wonder about the comment last week.  Is that what it feels like in Brazil?

Here are a couple of flow moments from IgNight.











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vibrations, Resonance and Electricity

Water Memory?

Transhumanism and the Bionic Woman