E-Prime Day

A dream came true on Saturday.

I slept in.   At 11am a text message woke me.  "Dragonwell Jam at the Jack of All Trades Fair. Come fly with us!" 

It was an invitation from Madamn Burnz sent to the FlyHive Aerial Crew... and I actually had the afternoon free!  Even better - my best friend agreed to come with me.

We arrived in Jack London Square at 12:30pm, super hungry.  As we approached one of the food trucks a friendly couple spoke up. "Look at all this food! Ask for the chefs special."  We jumped at the chance. 

The halal schwarma truck proprietor greeted us with enthusiasm and two little salads - street side amuse-bouche! We asked for the chefs special, with meat and mildly spiced. Then the chef left the truck to show us to a table. I couldn't believe our luck: dine-in restaurant service on the street. 

After a short wait he started bringing food to the table: pasta salad and roasted peppers, lamb gyros and BBQ chicken wings, and a falafel and hummus plate. We devoured our feast, paid a startlingly cheap $15 for the food, and headed to the center of the square where the aerial rig was set up.

The ladies of the Skyhigh Odditorum sat perched on benches, stretched out on mats and minding the gems in a booth nearby.  Gina was in the air when I arrived, executing a perfect straddle split to knee drop. She descended after a few minutes to our applause. Surprised to see me - she said "I choose you!"  Without hesitation I kicked off my shoes and climbed up. Before I knew it I was 18' up. Looking over the marina out into the bay, I kicked up into hipkey to enjoy the view. The wind whipped the tails of the silks to and fro and I engaged in an intense struggle to maintain my position. I realized that I was outside for the first time. It took all of my strength to straddle up, wrap the tails around my back and ease down into an inverted hold. Despite the struggle, I felt like time had stopped.

I fell in love with the aerial silks at a festival performance by the Paper Doll Militia in 2010. I immediately decided to find a teacher when I returned home.  I remember watching them perform among the trees with the lake in distance, thinking of the day that I would be able to dance so high and free among the leaves with water spread out before me. 


Five years later there I was. I was exhilarated. I managed to complete a few moves, descend and ascend again before dropping, exhausted, to the mat below. My heart was pounding as I handed the fabric to Nym. I did it outside!! I improvised a routine on the spot, I danced in the air to a band and a song I had never heard, and I performed in front of strangers and friends.   

I showed up at the event on a whim and fulfilled my dream. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vibrations, Resonance and Electricity

Water Memory?

Transhumanism and the Bionic Woman