Chemistry Class Intro

Hello.  I'm Heather, and I have never taken a chemistry class.

I went into a nursing program post secondary and missed the usual high school requirement, then transferred to a social work program at a university that didn't require it. I almost got away with it too!  O.o

The reading today included a few concepts that I was pretty confident with, but the quick quiz proved me wrong.  Differentiating chemical and physical changes wasn't immediately as apparent as I had assumed. I remember discussing this idea in class last week.  I hope not to be one of the students comes out of their first chemistry classes with a misunderstanding of what it is.

I don't have a bio to present so I'll just tell you a bit about me.  I am in my 4th year at ACCHS.  I've been progressing through second year curriculum, and am *finally* in my last trimester of working full time.

In my work, I manage an SAP consulting firm in San Francisco covering the roles of AR/AP, Payroll and HR, Compliance and Operations. When I'm not in class, and sometimes when I am, I am making sure the company gets paid, everyone who works for us gets paid, and we operate accordingly the various regulations of the IRS, DOL, and the states, cities and client companies and that we engage with customers or employees in.  I also get to hire, and have to fire people.  I've been in this role for 9 years, and before that in similar jane-the-juggler roles next to the CEO of a staffing agency, a mobile phone development company, and a public relations agency.

I've been in Oakland for 17 years and I really do hella heart this town. 💚

My path to ACCHS has been similarly winding.  I went to my first open house in 2006, completed the Tuina program in 2011, and enrolled in the acupuncture program in 2014. Getting through the program as a part-time student has been a challenge - one that reinforces my love of the circus. Jumping through hoops is becoming one of my better tricks, but I prefer the aerial silks.

The first class session was fun.  I understand there are quite a few people in this class who have also been in school for a few years now. (You guys are great with hoops too.)  I also saw many new faces.  I look forward to meeting everyone and reading your posts!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vibrations, Resonance and Electricity

Water Memory?

Transhumanism and the Bionic Woman