I love Snuggle, and GSE

I love my fabric softener.  Snuggle reminds me of childhood, and feels like some outdoor scene I know only from a commercial on tv. I like folding towels. I use Snuggle Liquid and especially like the lavender scent.  I know... more chemicals. 

Snuggle gets a D from the Environmental Working Group.  The entire class of Cationic Fabric Softeners does.  Cationic fabric softeners are listed as "of moderate concern", and they appear on the Association of Occupational and Environmental Clinics (AOEC) list as Asthmagens.  It also contains some detergents that are listed on the EU Ecolabel detergents database, which are of "some" concern, and a couple of cationic fabric softeners which are of low concern... at least some of the ingredients are biodegradable? 

This product also gets a D due to the lack of information provided on its label.  That is for the liquid fabric softener.  I found the Sun products corporation Safety Data Sheet for the Snuggle Dryer Sheets, which I am also embarrassed to report I use regularly. 

I really do care!  Other cleaning products in my kitchen include vinegar, baking soda, hydrogen peroxide, salt, diatomaceous earth and essential oils.  I use vinegar for almost everything, add salt or use a brush when grit is needed.  I like peroxide and a vitamin c tablet to clean the toilet. Diatomacous earth is for the ants. I keep lemon, peppermint rosemary, juniper and tea tree in the kitchen, which I add to baking soda to absorb odors or scour the counters, to the counter spray and vinegar to kill the smell. 

I am espeically proud of my counter spray recipe.  It's silly!  I make it out of carbonated water and GSE, plus whatever oil is handy.  I'm convinced the bubbles from my Primo help to remove gunk and make everything sparkle, but I have only tested this against the Mrs. Myers product my roommate likes, and SimpleGreen - the cleaner of choice at the shop. It doesn't clean as well as SimpleGreen, but is better than Mrs. Myers, which is a pretty good natural product itself. 

GSE is worth a mention. I've been using this particular grapefruit seed extract on the playa for years to disinfect dishes when hot water or adequate rinse water isn't available. I use the NutriBiotic concentrate, but only for cleaning.  This is another one of those things that comes with an insane number of health claims. 

For five things grapefruit seed extract can do you might read this article by Dr. Axe:  https://draxe.com/grapefruit-seed-extract/

And on the skeptics side, consider this report from ScienceBasedMedicine.org:  https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/not-natural-not-safe-grapefruit-seed-extract/

I don't eat my GSE, and I don't drink my essential oils.  Do you have any experience using grapefruit seed extracts or essential oils for cleaning? Have you taken them internally?  I would love to read your tips and experiences!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vibrations, Resonance and Electricity

Water Memory?

Transhumanism and the Bionic Woman